light up the lake with us
Christmas Eve Luminary Event
December 24, 2016 5 pm
Welcome. In 2015, we revived an old tradition and lit up the streets around Crystal Lake with paper bag luminaries. This year, we invite you to participate again and continue to keep the tradition alive.
brown paper bags
10 or 12-hour votive candles
Kitty litter or sand (place at bottom of each bag to anchor candle)
wagon or sled to put them on the street
boxes to assemble & hold them
- We suggest that each person create 50-100 luminaries to light up their street. If you are able, please place extra luminaries on unlit streets, such as down the middle of Broadway for Santa’s runway, CCAPOA beaches or try a creative pattern in your own yard. If you want to start small, make a few luminaries and just do a portion of your street.
- Use 10 or 12-hour votive or tealight candles. We have found good deals on Amazon and also through World Market. Plumber Candles have also been recommended from hardwares stores but they cost more per candle.
- Place lit luminaries out about 10 paces apart on both sides of the street around dusk on Christmas Eve.
- Take pictures! Share your pictures on any social media with our hashtag #crystallakeluminaries.
- It is important that we pick up luminaries on Christmas Day.